Javascript is currently not supported, or is disabled by this browser. Please enable Javascript for full functionality.

Skip to main content

Hagerstown Community College / HCC

Academic Catalog

2018-2019 Catalog 
    Jun 24, 2024  
2018-2019 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Paying for College


Washington County Residents  
  Per credit hour $ 121.00
Out-of-County Residents  
  Per credit hour $ 190.00
Out-of-State Residents  
  Per credit hour $ 250.00
Neighbor-State Rate (residents of Franklin and Fulton Counties, PA; Berkeley, Jefferson, and Morgan Counties, WV; and Loudoun County, VA)  
  Per credit hour $ 234.00

(Students who audit courses are charged the same tuition as students taking courses for credit.)


General College Fee (per credit hour) $ 13.00
Credit-by-Evaluation Fee (varies)
  (60% of county tuition rate per credit, plus $16 per credit administrative fee)  
Laboratory Fee (varies)
Library Use Fee (out-of-state residents, per year) $ 10.50
Library Use Fee (out-of-state alumni, per year) $ 5.25
Physical Education Fee (varies)
Registration Fee (per semester-non refundable) $ 30.00
Returned Check Fee (for checks returned by bank) $ 35.00
Stop Payment Fee $ 35.00
Senior Citizen Administrative Fee (for credit classes) $ 25.00
Special Examination Fee (varies)
Transcript Fee for e-transcript $ 5.25

* Tuition and fees are subject to change.

Tuition Waivers

Senior Citizens

Any resident of Maryland who is 60 years or older and who enrolls in any class is exempt from payment of tuition. This exemption will automatically be applied to student accounts at the beginning of each semester; no additional paperwork is required. All applicable fees and the Senior Citizen Administrative Fee will be charged.

Disabled Persons

Maryland Tuition Waiver for Students with Disabilities
Any Maryland student receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits is eligible to apply for this waiver. You must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and provide proof from the Social Security Administration (SSA) of receiving SSI or SSDI benefits. After this information is turned into the Academic Advising and Registration Office, students will be asked to complete a Certification for Tuition Waiver form.

You are exempt from paying tuition at community colleges in Maryland for up to 12 credits per semester if you are taking classes as part of a degree or a certificate program designed to lead to employment.  The waiver is limited to 6 credits if you are enrolled in community college credit courses for any other reason. A course may have a minimum number of enrolled students for the waiver to apply. The tuition waiver applies to any balance on tuition after any grants and scholarships you receive have been applied to your tuition and fees. You are responsible for all other costs associated with the courses, such as books.

You must request the waiver every time you enroll and file the annual Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  For State aid consideration, complete and submit the FAFSA by March 1 each year.

Payments of Tuition and Fees

Students must pay tuition and all applicable fees by the payment due date or within one week of enrolling in classes. Please refer to the College class schedule for dates.

Students may pay using the following methods:


Only if paying in person.

Personal Check

  1. Make check payable to Hagerstown Community College.
  2. Put your student ID number on the check.
  3. Post-dated checks will not be accepted.

Web Payments

Students with a user ID and password may log-on to WebAdvisor and pay with VISA, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express. If you are unsure of your user ID or password, please email or call 240-500-2891 for assistance.

Returned Checks

Fees and Charges

The College accepts payment by personal check and reserves the right to withdraw that privilege at any time to anyone.

Returned checks, regardless of the reason, are subject to a $35.00 service charge. When a check is returned unpaid, a hold is immediately placed on HCC services. Holds prohibit registration and the issuing of transcripts and diplomas until the returned check and service charges are paid. Your bank may notify you too, that it has returned your check and may charge you bank penalties. Returned checks remaining uncollected after a reasonable period of time will be forwarded to the State of Maryland Central Collection Unit with the student bearing additional collection costs.

Stopped Payments

If you decide not to attend HCC do not stop payment on your check. Stopping payment guarantees that your check will be returned, and does not cancel your financial obligation to HCC. Stopped payments are treated as any other returned check, with identical consequences.

To cancel your obligation to pay tuition and fees at HCC you need to officially withdraw, by the deadline posted on the website. Students can withdraw from classes by logging into WebAdvisor and deleting their registration. This is the only way for students to officially remove themselves from classes in which they enrolled prior. Students are responsible for paying tuition and fees for classes in which they withdraw after the Refund Deadline. After the Refund Deadline, the College is not able to offer classes to other students, including those on waitlists. Students withdrawing prior to the refund deadline remain responsible for the Registration Fee. View the Registration Dates & Refund Deadlines page.

Credit Cards

The College accepts VISA, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express.

Money Order

  1. Make money orders payable to Hagerstown Community College.
  2. Put your student ID number on the money order.

Payment Plan Option: NBS Payment Plan
(Previously Fast Automatic Cash Transfer System - FACTS)

  1. This is an interest-free plan. The total of your tuition and fees will be divided into payments (based on the payment plan application date) which will be automatically deducted monthly from a checking, savings or VISA/MasterCard or Discover account. Students must register for the NBS Tuition Payment Plan (previously FACTS) on the HCC website at Questions should be directed to the Finance Office at 240-500-2220 or in person in the Administration and Student Affairs Building.
  2. The processing fee for this plan is $25 per semester and will be deducted by FACTS from your bank account upon receipt of your application.
  3. For complete details, please refer to the FACTS brochure, available in the Finance Office or visit
  4. FACTS plans do not rollover from semester to semester. You must re-enroll each semester.
  5. The College reserves the right to disallow the use of a payment plan by students with past payment issues. The use of a payment plan is a privilege, not a right.

Rate Agreements

Out-of-state and out-of-county students who work in Maryland may be eligible for in/out-of-county rates if the employer has a signed tuition rate agreement with HCC. Students are advised to check with their human resources director.

If the employer has a rate agreement with HCC, students are required to provide proof of employment at the time of registration, or, no later than the day before classes begin, to the Office of Academic Advising and Registration. The proof of employment must be on company letterhead and dated no more than one week from the time it is provided to the College. The student must provide proof of employment each semester to retain in-county rates.

Employer-Paid Tuition

  1. It is your responsibility to present the purchase order, tuition assistance voucher, or letter of intent at the time you register for classes.
  2. In the event the employer or tuition assistance agency refuses to pay after receipt of the bill, the student becomes responsible for all charges on his or her account.

Collection Policy

Students with an outstanding balance at the end of the term will have their transcripts withheld. They will not be permitted to re-register until payment is made in full.

The College’s policies regarding payments and collections apply to payments made directly to the College, as well as payments at the College campus store and other auxiliary services.

Delinquent accounts will be assigned to a collection agency and/or the State of Maryland Central Collection Unit, for collection with a 17 percent service fee added to the amount owed. The State of Maryland Central Collection Unit has the authority to intercept Maryland Income Tax Refunds or to take legal action through the State’s Attorney General’s Office. It is the students’ responsibility to keep their contact information current with the college to ensure payment due notices are sent to updated addresses.

Refunds and Withdrawals**

The effective date for calculation of all refunds shall be the date of official withdrawal or change in schedule as recorded in the Records Office. Failure to attend classes does not constitute an official withdrawal.

Upon withdrawal prior to the first day of scheduled classes, the College will retain the registration fee and refund any remainder.

For 15-week classes, the College will retain the registration fee and refund 100 percent of the balance until the end of the first week of classes, if a student completes the official procedure to withdraw via WebAdvisor. There will be no refunds after the first week of classes. Refund deadlines for classes with a duration of less than 15 weeks are noted on the website, but are within a few days of the start of the first class.

Note: Students receiving any of the following: Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (SEOG), Federal Work Study, Direct Loans, and/or Maryland Education Assistance Grant Programs, please see the refund policy here. 

During the period allowed for schedule changes, a student’s account will be adjusted for any change in course load.

If a student’s course schedule is reduced by action of the College, the tuition and fees for that course will be adjusted.

Fees and tuition are not refunded if a student is dismissed from the College. Any student who drops a course or withdraws from the College unofficially, or after the advertised refund deadline, will not be eligible for a refund and any unpaid balance will be due immediately.

The College reserves the right to cancel a class or change meeting times of classes without prior notice. Any fees directly applicable to a cancelled class will be refunded.

Students may receive refunds after the deadline if they have serious reasons for not being able to continue in the classes. For example, illness, injury, bereavement, military duty, or a personal tragedy due to extenuating circumstances may be acceptable bases for appeal, with supporting documentation. However, ignorance of the deadline, inability to pay, or deciding not to complete the class are not valid arguments to support an appeal.

Registration appeal forms are available online at Forms should be returned to the Registrar, located in the Administration and Student Affairs (ASA) Building. Appeals are reviewed on a monthly basis and should be submitted by the 15th day of the month for review by the end of the month. Refunds are generally not awarded if the student’s balance has been sent to the State of Maryland Central Collection Unit (CCU). These cases will be reviewed by the Dean of Students.

Note: Eligibility for a refund is determined by the date the signed notification (by the student) of the intent to withdraw is received in the Student Financial Aid Office. The number of times a course has met is not used in determining eligibility for a refund. Questions regarding refunds should be directed to the Finance Office, 240-500-2220, or emailed to

** Refund policy is subject to change.

Residency Policy and Tuition Requirements

The following residency policy is for the students who are United States citizens or have permanent residency in the U.S.

  1. Students at Hagerstown Community College pay tuition according to their permanent residence (identified by the address on the admissions application) and are classified as one of the following:
    1. Washington County residents
    2. Maryland residents outside of Washington County
    3. Out-of-state residents in PA, WV, and VA counties that border Washington County
    4. Out-of-state residents
  2. A student 18 years of age or older and financially independent is considered a resident of Washington County and the state if a legal domicile has been established.
  3. Students shall be considered residents of a county or state if they maintain their legal domicile there and have done so for a period of not less than three months before the date of their enrollment at the community college. Legal domicile shall be defined as a person’s permanent place of abode, where physical presence and possession are maintained and where he/she intends to remain indefinitely.
    The permanent place of abode of any person or persons contributing more than one-half of the student’s financial support during the most recent completed year (COMAR: Title 13B.07.01.02 9 (a) (b)).
  4. At the time of admission to HCC, students sign a statement declaring their residency. At each subsequent enrollment students must indicate if their residence is the same as or different from that declared at admission. Students may need to provide proof of residency.

Procedures for Reclassification of Residency

  1. Students may request a change in residency classification by completing a “Change in Residency” form available in the Office of Admissions and Enrollment Management.
  2. Determination of student residency must be made before the first day of classes of any given semester. Students who change their residency after the semester begins will not have their tuition adjusted. Students may be entitled to an adjustment the following semester.
  3. Documentation must show the permanent address (no post office box) with effective date three months prior to the first day of the semester. Two documentations of residency and the “Change in Residency” form must be presented. Documentation includes the following:
    1. Deed, settlement papers, or a one-year lease agreement
    2. Maryland driver’s license
    3. Maryland motor vehicle registration
    4. Federal or Maryland tax returns
    5. Maryland voter registration card
    6. Utility bills
    7. Military orders with an assignment to a base in Maryland and presentation of military ID.
  4. Students have the right to appeal a residency decision by putting their request in writing to the Dean of Students.

Maryland DREAM Act

As an open-admission institution, Hagerstown Community College grants admission to all students regardless of citizenship.  Maryland Senate Bill 167 enacted in the 2011 Session of the Maryland General Assembly, also known as the Maryland Dream Act, allows some non-U.S. citizens to be exempt from paying the out-of-state tuition rate.

In order for a student to qualify for an exemption from paying out-of-state tuition, the student must have:

  1. Attended a public or nonpublic high school in Maryland for at least 3 academic years not earlier than the 2005-2006 school year;
  2. Graduated from a public or nonpublic high school in Maryland or received the equivalent of a high school diploma from the State not earlier than the 2007-2008 school year;
  3. Registered within four years after graduating from a public or nonpublic secondary school in the State or received the equivalent of a high school diploma in the State;
  4. Provided documentation that the student, or the student’s parent or legal guardian has filed a Maryland income tax return:
        a. annually for the 3 years that coincide with the individual’s attendance at a public or nonpublic secondary school in the State (home-schooled students are subject to this requirement in the same manner);
        b. annually each year between secondary school attendance and enrolling at the college, and
        c. annually while attending a community college;
  5. Provides an affidavit stating that the individual will file an application to become a permanent resident within 30 days after the individual becomes eligible to do so;
  6. Provides proof that the individual has registered with the Selective Service System. (This currently applies to all males 18-25. Proof of Selective Service registration can be obtained by filing with the Post Office and returning a receipt to the college that shows proof of registration or by providing a Selective Service card.).

    Each community college will verify statutory compliance for each eligible student.  Students seeking this exemption must be prepared to provide copies of Maryland Tax Returns and other documents. A student who meets the requirements described above may be eligible to pay the in-county tuition rate at the community college that serves the high school from which he/she graduated or most recently attended (if he/she received a GED). 

    Applying for the exemption does not alter your responsibility to pay by the college deadline any nonresident tuition and associated fees that may be due before your eligibility is determined. For institution-specific instructions regarding documentation and deadline dates, contact the Office of Admissions and Enrollment Management at 240-500-2572.

    *The completed paperwork (form and all supporting documentation) is due before the semester begins. If you complete the paperwork after the semester has begun, the exemption will be considered for the following semester. 

    Learn more at

Tuition Requirements

  1. Out-of-county or out-of-state students pay tuition in accordance with Education Article, &16-310(a&b), Annotated Code of Maryland.
  2. Students who may be eligible for in-county or out-of-county tuition rates or considered as Maryland residents are listed below.
    1. Maryland residents enrolled in a program designated as a Health Manpower Shortage, statewide or regional by the Maryland Higher Education Commission may be considered as in-county residents for tuition purposes. Students must demonstrate eligibility each semester. Sixty-six percent of the registered courses must be a part of the program of study.
    2. Military personnel and their dependents who have a legal domicile in Maryland at the time of entrance into the armed forces and who are stationed outside the State are considered Maryland residents.
    3. Military personnel stationed in Maryland on active duty and did not have a legal domicile in Maryland at the time of entrance into the armed forces and their dependents are considered Maryland residents.
    4. Students from outside the state who enroll as part of a reciprocity agreement negotiated between Maryland and another state.
  3. Nursing students who reside outside of Maryland may be considered a Maryland resident if the following conditions are met. Contact the Financial Aid Office for more information.
    1. Formally admitted and enrolled in an education program leading to licensure in nursing.
    2. Furnishes a surety bond or guaranteed promissory note to the Maryland Higher Education Commission through the college, with security satisfactory to MHEC, that upon completion of the nursing education program the student will work full-time in Maryland for at least two years in a hospital or related institution.
    3. Provides the surety bond or promissory note at the time of registration.

Student Financial Aid

The Student Financial Aid Office provides resources to students seeking financial aid. Financial aid is available through grants, scholarships, loans and student employment. ALL STUDENTS MUST APPLY EACH YEAR FOR FINANCIAL AID.

Financial aid information may also be obtained at Get video answers to your financial aid questions using Financial Aid TV. Inquiries may be addressed to

Student Responsibilities

  • All written communications from the Student Financial Aid Office will be by HCC student email. It is the student’s responsibility to check their e-mail frequently.
  • It is the students’ responsibility to submit copies of the documentation needed to complete their financial aid application. Students whom the U.S. Department of Education selects for verification must complete the verification process.
  • To maintain eligibility for financial aid, students must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress. Students should refer to the section: Academic Progress of Students Receiving Student Financial Aid.
  • Financial aid will only cover courses that count as required courses in the degree program for graduation. Each course students register for must be listed as a needed course in your program evaluation/degree audit.
  • Priority consideration for certain federal programs is given to students who meet the deadlines of May 30 for the fall semester, October 30 for the spring semester, and March 30 for the summer semester.
  • Maryland students applying for Maryland scholarships and grants must complete the FAFSA before March 1 for the following academic year.
  • Deadline dates for the Federal Pell Grant are less restrictive.
  • Once students are enrolled for classes and have been awarded financial aid, their financial aid will be credited to their accounts, paying tuition, fees, and other college expenses first.
  • Students are responsible for payment of tuition and fees if aid has not been awarded. To determine if student financial aid can be applied to the semester charges (tuition, fees, and books), review the financial aid status by term information available on WebAdvisor.
  • Students must officially withdraw from classes at the Academic Advising and Registration Office if they are no longer planning to attend. Failure to comply by the advertised deadline will result in all tuition and fee charges being billed to the student.
  • Students receiving financial aid are expected to attend and complete their classes. Students who receive aid for classes which they never attend will have the aid revoked, resulting in a balance to HCC. Students who withdraw, or stop attending all classes, may also owe a refund for aid received to the U.S. Department of Education.

Financial Aid Program Requirements

To be eligible for aid from Federal Financial aid programs, you must:

  • be working toward a degree or certificate in an eligible program
  • be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
  • have a valid Social Security Number
  • register with the Selective Service if required (male over 18 years old)
  • maintain satisfactory academic progress once in school
  • certify that you will use federal student aid only for educational purposes
  • not have a federal student loan in default or owe money on a federal student grant

Students who have been convicted for possessing or selling illegal drugs may not be eligible for Title IV aid. Students who have questions regarding their eligibility should call 1-800-4FEDAID.

For further details, view and view the Funding Your Education guide.

Applying for Federal and Maryland State Financial Aid

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the financial aid application you will need to complete in order to apply for federal and state student grants, work-study, and loans. There is no charge for completing or submitting the FAFSA. Apply online at

You must reapply for financial aid every year. You should reapply for financial aid starting in October, for the following academic year.

Students should complete the FAFSA before March 1, to be considered for Maryland State financial aid from the Maryland Higher Education Commission (MHEC), Office of Student Financial Assistance.

You should complete your federal income tax return before completing the FAFSA.

You will need the following documentation readily available when completing the FAFSA:

  • Your (and your parents’ if applicable) Social Security Card
  • Your driver’s license or state ID card
  • Your (and your spouse’s or parents’ if applicable) federal income tax return and W-2 earnings statement
  • Your (and your spouse’s or parents’ if applicable) current bank statement and records of stocks, bonds and other investments
  • Your (and spouse’s or your parents’ if applicable) records of other untaxed income
  • Your alien registration card if not a U.S. citizen.

Once you have completed the FAFSA, you will receive your Student Aid Report (SAR). The SAR contains the information you reported on your FAFSA and your personal Expected Family Contribution (EFC). The U.S. Department of Education uses a federally mandated formula or Federal Methodology to calculate your family’s EFC. The EFC determines eligibility for federal financial aid. Your SAR must be complete and correct before you can receive federal student aid.

The Student Financial Aid Office at HCC will electronically receive your SAR and send an e-mail requesting additional information, if needed. Students must promptly provide all documentation, such as official income tax transcripts if requested. The WebAdvisor Student Menu has a link to “My Financial Aid Documents” listing the items needed to complete the financial aid file.

The Student Financial Aid Office will send the student an award notification e-mail once all supporting documentation has been received and the financial aid has been processed. Students can view their financial aid award letter on WebAdvisor.

To apply for Federal Work Study (FWS) a student should complete the following steps:

  • Complete the FAFSA
  • Review the student jobs listed on the human resources page of the college’s website
  • Apply for and accept an on-campus student worker position

To receive direct loan funds, a student must:

  • Complete the FAFSA at
  • Complete the entrance counseling and the Master Promissory Note at
  • Sign the HCC award letter, printed from WebAdvisor, and return it to the Student Financial Aid Office. The award letter will be available on WebAdvisor once your loan has been processed.

How HCC Awards Federal and MD State Financial Aid

Student applications are reviewed for completeness and accuracy. The student is notified by email and WebAdvisor if documentation is missing or if there are discrepancies in the information. It is the student’s responsibility to submit copies of the documentation needed to complete their file. Students whom the Department of Education selects for verification must complete the verification process. Once the file is complete and correct, the aid is awarded. Federal financial aid awards are based on financial need (COA minus EFC).

The selection of students for federal grants and Federal Work Study is based on the criteria established by the program and the funds available to award. Financial need is determined by the cost of attendance (COA) in relation to the amount reasonably expected to be contributed by parents, spouse and/or the student (EFC). This contribution is determined by an analysis of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Estimated cost of education budget information is available on the “Paying for College” portion of the HCC Web site.

Student financial aid will only cover courses that count as required courses in a student’s degree program needed to graduate. This means each courses registered for must be listed as a needed course in the program evaluation/degree audit. To access degree audit students use the EVALUATE PROGRESS IN PROGRAM link/option under the STUDENTS section of WebAdvisor. Students must be logged in to access this feature. If students have questions about whether courses count in the program evaluation or can be used to determine eligibility for aid the students should see an Academic Advisor in the Student Center.

Student awards may be viewed over a secure website at

Federal Financial Aid Programs (Title IV)

Federal Pell Grant, unlike a loan, does not have to be repaid. Pell Grants are awarded only to undergraduate students who have financial need. For many students, Pell Grants provide a foundation of financial aid to which other aid is added. The amount of the grant depends on the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) and the number of credits for which the student enrolls.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) is for undergraduates with exceptional financial need, who receive Federal Pell Grant Funds and are enrolled in six (6) credits or more. FSEOG does not have to be paid back. There is no guarantee that every eligible student will be able to receive FSEOG; awards are based on the availability of funds. Students wanting to receive FSEOG need to have a complete file with the Student Financial Aid Office as early in the year as possible.

Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant is for students who are not eligible for a Pell Grant but whose parent was a member of the U.S. Armed Forces and died because of service performed in Iraq or Afghanistan after September 11, 2001.

Additional Student Eligibility Requirements:

  • Be under 24 years old
  • Enrolled in college at least part-time at the time of the parent’s or guardian’s death.

The grant award is equal to the amount of a maximum Pell Grant for the award year - not to exceed the cost of attendance for that award year.

Federal Work-Study Program (FWS) program provides part time jobs for students who have financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay for educational expenses. Students must be enrolled in a minimum of six (6) credits in order to receive a FWS award. Students may work during the semester as an FWS employee in various departments and divisions of the college. The number of hours a student can work is based on the degree of financial need.

Federal Direct Loans are student loans for eligible students to help cover the cost of higher education. Eligible students borrow directly from the U.S. Department of Education.

There are two types of Federal Direct Stafford Loans:

  • Subsidized - based on financial need and the federal government pays interest during the student’s enrollment in school
  • Unsubsidized - not based on financial need and the borrower is responsible for interest payments

Unsubsidized Direct Loans require that you, the student, pay the interest that accrues while you are attending school. If you choose to defer the interest until after graduation, the interest will be capitalized, resulting in a larger principal balance and more interest paid.

Students may qualify for either of the above types of Direct Loans or a combination of the two.

In addition to filing the FAFSA, the student must complete entrance counseling and a Master Promissory Note (MPN) at the Department of Education Student Loans website, Students may complete the entrance counseling and the MPN prior to receiving a loan award.

If you have a complete financial aid file, your student loan and any other aid you are eligible for will be awarded.

  • Freshmen students will be awarded $5,500 (depending on need, $2,000 or more will be unsubsidized).
  • Sophomore students, who have completed at least 30 credit hours, will be awarded $6,500 ($2,000 or more will be unsubsidized).

Prior to receiving loan funds, the student must go to WebAdvisor to print the award letter. Students must sign the award letter and return it to the Student Financial Aid Office to receive loan funds. Students must be enrolled in six (6) or more credits per semester in order to be eligible for loan funds.

An independent student or a dependent student whose parent has been denied a parent loan and requires additional UNSUBSIDIZED LOAN FUNDS to pay for college expenses can request an additional $4,000 unsubsidized loan using the additional unsubsidized Loan Request form, which can be found online at

The maximum loan amounts that may be borrowed by independent students or a dependent student whose parent has been denied a parent loan are:

  • Freshman students will be awarded $9,500 (depending on need, $6,000 or more will be unsubsidized loans).
  • Sophomore students, who have completed at least 30 credit hours, will be awarded $10,500 (depending on need, $6,000 or more will be unsubsidized loans).

All loans are processed for the fall semester and spring semester, unless you are graduating from HCC in December.

Direct Loans have two (2) disbursements.

Students should carefully consider how much they borrow. The burden of repaying loans can have a substantial impact on them and their families after leaving school.

Aggregate Loan Limits: Maximum limit while working on all undergraduate degrees:

  • Dependent students are limited to $31,000 (no more than $23,000 of which can be subsidized)
  • Independent students are limited to $57,500 (no more than $23,000 can be subsidized)

Parent Loans for Undergraduate Dependent Students (PLUS) are for parents who want to borrow to help pay for their dependent children’s educational expenses. Parent borrowers generally must begin repaying principal and interest within 60 days after the loan is completely disbursed. They may apply for deferment of payment with their lenders.

Students and parents wishing to apply for education loans must meet all requirements for Federal Financial Aid, complete the FAFSA, and complete a PLUS Borrower Information sheet, available online at

Maryland Grants and Scholarships Programs

The Office of Student Financial Assistance (OSFA), a division of the Maryland Higher Education Commission, awards Maryland financial aid funds. To be eligible for this assistance, you and your parents (if a dependent student) must reside in Maryland for twelve months or more. Students must meet satisfactory academic progress requirements in order to receive or renew state financial aid. Maryland residents should complete the FAFSA before March 1, to be considered for Maryland Grants and Scholarships. Additional application information is available at

Maryland Legislative Programs

Senatorial Scholarship: Maryland Senators award these funds. Contact the senator for further application instructions. If you do not know how to contact your state senator, please contact the Board of Supervisors of Elections for your county. (Washington County: 240-313-2050 or

Delegate Scholarships: Maryland Delegates award these funds. Contact the Delegate for further application instructions. If you do not know how to contact your state delegates, please contact the Board of Supervisors of Elections for your county. (Washington County: 240-313-2050 or

Maryland Need-Based Aid Programs

Howard P. Rawlings Guaranteed Access Grant: Current high school seniors who will complete a college preparatory program or students who graduated prior to the current academic year who provide written documentation explaining why they were unable to attend college within one year of graduating from high school may apply for this grant. Priority consideration is given to students who complete the FAFSA by March 1 of each year and the Howard P. Rawlings Guaranteed Access Grant application. Eligible applicants must be full-time, degree-seeking students.

Howard P. Rawlings Educational Assistance Grant: Students attending community colleges will be awarded an Educational Assistance Grant equal to 60% of OSFA adjusted need. Funds may not be available to award all eligible students. Eligible applicants must be full-time, degree-seeking students. To renew an award, students must maintain satisfactory academic progress and submit the FAFSA no later than March 1 each year.

Part-Time Grant: Eligibility for this grant is based on financial need as determined by the FAFSA and availability for funds provided by OSFA. It is suggested that the FAFSA be completed as soon as possible after October 1 each year. Recipients are selected by HCC. To be eligible the student must be attending part-time and be enrolled in a degree-seeking program of study.

2 +2 Transfer Scholarship: Maryland residents who have completed an associate’s degree at a Maryland community college and are transferring to a Maryland four-year institution of higher education may apply for this scholarship. Applicants must complete the 2 + 2 College Transfer Scholarship application and submit an official college transcript(s).

Maryland Tuition Waiver Programs

Tuition Waiver for Foster Care Recipients and Unaccompanied Homeless Youth: Students may be exempt from paying tuition and mandatory fees if they are in out of home placement on their 18th birthday. Students who resided in an out-of care placement for at least one year on or after the individual’s 13th birthday for and return to live with their parents after the out-of- home placement may also be exempt from paying tuition and fees. To apply for this waiver, students must complete the FAFSA, be enrolled working toward a degree or certificate in an eligible program, and complete the Tuition Waiver form found on the HCC website. 

Tuition Waiver for Students with Disabilities: Students receiving SSI or SSDI payments through the Social Security Administration, may be exempt from paying tuition not covered by any grants or scholarships. To apply for this waiver, students must complete the FAFSA, pick up the Certificate for Tuition Waiver form from the Academic Advising and Registration Office, have the form completed by the Social Security Administration, and return the form to the college.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy

It is the student’s responsibility to maintain satisfactory academic progress.

U.S. Department of Education Regulations requires Hagerstown Community College establish satisfactory academic progress (SAP) standards for all financial aid recipients. All Federal Financial Aid recipients must be enrolled in an eligible degree or certificate program. Students must be making measurable academic progress toward completion of the degree or certificate program in order to be eligible to receive financial assistance from any of the following programs: Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant, Federal Work-Study, Federal Direct Loan, Federal Plus Loan, and the Maryland student grants and scholarships.

SAP standards measure a student’s performance in three areas:

  1. GPA (Qualitative) Standards
  2. Completion Rate (Pace Standards)
  3. Maximum Time Frame

If a financial aid recipient fails to meet the policy standards, he or she will lose eligibility for student financial aid. Students’ SAP will be calculated each semester once grades are made. All of the above named programs of financial aid will be removed from students’ accounts if it is determined the student is not maintaining SAP.

For the most up-to-date academic progress standards, review the Student Financial Aid Eligibility page of the HCC website at

Refund and Return of Title IV Aid

When you withdraw during the semester, the amount of federal student aid that you have earned up to that point is determined by a specific formula. If you received (or HCC or parent received on your behalf) more assistance than was earned, the excess funds must be returned by the school and/or the student. If you received less assistance than the amount that you earned, you may be eligible to receive those additional funds.

The amount of assistance that you have earned is determined on a prorated basis. For example: if you completed 30% of the semester, you earn 30% of the assistance you were originally scheduled to receive. Once you have completed more than 60% of the semester, you earn all the assistance that you were scheduled to receive.

If you received (or your parents received funds or funds that were paid on your behalf for tuition and fees or you purchased books at the HCC Campus Store), less assistance than the amount that you earned, you may be able to receive those additional funds. If you received more assistance than you earned, the school and/or you must return the excess funds.

You cannot earn some federal student aid funds once you withdraw because of other eligibility requirements. For example, if you withdraw from classes before the day your loan is scheduled to disburse, you will not earn any Direct Loan funds that you would have received if you had remained enrolled.

If you received (or your parents received funds or funds that were paid on your behalf for tuition and fees or purchase books at the HCC Campus Store) excess federal student aid funds that must be returned, HCC must return a portion of the excess equal to the lesser of:

  1. your institutional charges multiplied by the unearned percentage of your funds, or
  2. the entire amount of excess funds

The school must return this amount even if it did not keep this amount of your federal student aid funds. If HCC is not required to return all of the excess funds, you must return the remaining amount.

Any loan funds that you must return, you (or your parent for a PLUS loan) repay in accordance with the terms of the promissory note. That is, you make scheduled payments to the holder of the loan over a period of time.

Any amount of unearned grant funds that you must return is called an overpayment. The maximum amount of a grant overpayment that you must repay is half of the grant funds you receive. You must arrange with HCC to return the unearned grant funds.

If you did not receive all of the funds that you earned, you may be due a post-withdrawal disbursement. If the post-withdrawal disbursement includes loan funds, you may choose to decline the loan funds so that you do not incur additional debt. HCC may automatically use all or a portion of your post-withdrawal disbursement (including loan funds, if you accept them) for tuition and fees.

For all other school charges, the school needs your permission to use the post-withdrawal disbursement. If you do not give your permission, you will be offered the funds; however, it may be in your best interest to allow the school to keep the funds to reduce your debt at the school.

The requirements for federal student aid funds when you withdraw are separate from any refund policy that HCC may have. Therefore, you may still owe funds to the school to cover unpaid institutional charges. HCC may also charge you for any federal student aid funds that the school was required to return.

If you have questions about your FSA program funds, please inquire at HCC’s Student Financial Aid Office. Information is also available on the U.S. Department of Education’s Financial Aid for Students at

Student Financial Aid Office Statement of Conduct

HCC’s Student Financial Aid Statement of Conduct is adopted from the National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrator’s Statement of Ethical Principles and Code of Conduct for Institutional Financial Aid Professionals.

Students and parents of students attending HCC should have the utmost confidence in the ethics of the College and their student lending practices. HCC’s Student Financial Aid Office employees are expected to always maintain exemplary standards of professional conduct in all aspects of carrying out their responsibilities, specifically including dealing with any entities involved in any manner of Student Financial Aid.

The entire Statement of Conduct and additional consumer information are available online at


A number of scholarships are available to students who show scholastic promise and financial need. Civic-minded persons and organizations provide these scholarships as a means of extending the opportunity for a college education. Most scholarships are awarded for a one-year period.

Community Scholarships

Students applying for scholarships must complete a separate scholarship application. Scholarship information is available online at This scholarship page contains a list of scholarships made available through local community organizations.

Student’s receiving scholarship money from outside organizations must notify the Financial Aid Office. Make sure the student’s name and HCC Student ID number are recorded either on the check or scholarship award notification letter.

HCC works with many local and national organizations to award student scholarships. Any scholarship checks students receive should be sent to or brought in to the Student Financial Aid Office at HCC to be applied to the student’s account. This helps the Student Financial Aid Office calculate a student’s total award package. Many organizations base scholarship awards on things like enrollment status, program of study, GPA, and which high school a student attended. Feel free to contact the Student Financial Aid Office for information on community scholarships.

Hagerstown Community College Scholarships

HCC Foundation Scholarships: The HCC Foundation Scholarship Committee awards a number of scholarships, with its own criteria and dollar amounts, in the fall and spring of every academic year to students taking at least six credits and have at least a 2.0 GPA. The Foundation Scholarship Committee selects recipients. Scholarships are usually awarded to students in financial need and who show scholastic promise. Most scholarships are for a one-year period, but some may be renewed the following year. Applications are kept on file for one year in the event additional funds become available to award. To apply for the HCC Foundation Scholarship, students need to complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and complete the HCC Foundation Scholarship Application Form online at

HCC Faculty/Foundation Scholarship for Academic Excellence: Only current high school students who are graduating in May/June are eligible to apply. The HCC Faculty/Foundation Scholarship for Academic Excellence Committee offers an academic excellence scholarship program for qualified graduates of area high schools. The committee awards scholarships based on GPA, SAT scores, and extracurricular activities. These awards provide $550 per semester at Hagerstown Community College. Recipients who maintain satisfactory academic records at the college will be supported for four consecutive semesters of college for a total of $2,200. To review scholarship criteria, recipient requirements, and to access the Faculty/Foundation Scholarship for Academic Excellence Application, visit

HCC Promise Pathway Program Scholarship: HCC’s Promise Pathway Program is designed to address financial barriers for Washington County students who have the academic readiness and commitment to succeed in college, but lack all the necessary financial resources. Students will not receive the financial support promise tuition scholarship until 10th grade, or after, when the student is formally admitted into the HCC Promise Pathway Program. All applicants must complete a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and use available federal and state financial aid as well as external scholarships before the “promise dollars” are awarded by the HCC Foundation and HCC. This special initiative is being supported by Washington County Public Schools. For additional information visit the Applications and the FAFSA need to be completed by March 1 for consideration for the following academic year.

Child Care Career and Professional Development Fund (CCCPDF): HCC and the Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE) are offering a unique funding opportunity for childcare providers to earn an associate degree (A.A.S. or A.A.T.) in Early Childhood Education, A.A.T. in Elementary Education, or an A.S. in Education. The CCCPDF provides funding for college tuition, fees, and books for eligible child care providers working in the State of Maryland. Approved candidates must possess the motivation and skills that will assist them in successfully completing their degree while employed in childcare and will continue to work in family or center-based early education programs upon completion of their degree, for a service commitment equaling one month per credit or two years for the completion of an associate degree. To learn more, call 240-500-2604.

Advanced Manufacturing Systems Scholarship: The Advanced Manufacturing Systems scholarship, provided by a National Science Foundation grant, provides scholarships to students who are pursuing an associate degree in Advanced Manufacturing Systems and the certificate in the Basic Electronics and Industrial Technology. All applicants must complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). To review scholarship criteria, recipient requirements, and to access the Advanced Manufacturing Systems scholarship application at