Javascript is currently not supported, or is disabled by this browser. Please enable Javascript for full functionality.

Skip to main content

Hagerstown Community College / HCC

Academic Catalog

2013-2014 Catalog 
    Mar 03, 2024  
2013-2014 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Paying for College


Washington County Residents  
  Per credit hour $ 107.00
Out-of-County Residents  
  Per credit hour $ 168.00
Out-of-State Residents  
  Per credit hour $ 220.00

(Students who audit courses are charged the same tuition as students taking courses for credit.)


General College Fee (per credit hour) $ 11.00
Credit-by-Evaluation Fee (varies)
  (60% of county tuition rate per credit, plus $15 per credit administrative fee)  
Laboratory Fee (varies)
Library Use Fee (out-of-state residents, per year) $ 10.00
Library Use Fee (out-of-state alumni, per year) $ 5.00
Maryland College of the Air Fee (per course) $ 15.00
Physical Education Fee (varies)
Registration Fee (per semester—non refundable) $ 27.00
Returned Check Fee (for checks returned by bank) $ 35.00
Stop Payment Fee $ 35.00
Senior Citizen Administrative Fee (for credit classes) $ 25.00
Special Examination Fee (varies)
Strong Interest Inventory Test  
  Students, alumni, former students $ 20.00
  All others $ 35.00

* Tuition and fees are subject to change.

Tuition Waivers

Senior Citizens

Any resident of Maryland who is 60 years or older and who enrolls in any class is exempt from payment of tuition. All applicable fees and the Senior Citizen Administrative Fee will be charged.

Disabled Retired Persons

Any resident of Maryland who is retired from the workforce by reason of total or permanent disability is exempt from payment of tuition. In order to receive this exemption, certification from the Social Security Administration or the Railroad Retirement Board stating that the individual receives disability or retirement benefits must be presented at the time of registration. All applicable fees will be charged. Students seeking a disability tuition waiver must also complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Payments of Tuition and Fees

Students must pay tuition and all applicable fees by the payment due date. Please refer to the College class schedule for dates.

Students may pay using the following methods:


Only if paying in person.

Personal Check

  1. Make check payable to Hagerstown Community College.
  2. Put your student ID number on the check.
  3. Post-dated checks will not be accepted.

Web Payments

Students with a user ID and password may log-on to WebAdvisor and pay with VISA, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express. If you are unsure of your user ID or password, please email or call 240-500-2891 for assistance.

Returned Checks

Fees and Charges

The College accepts payment by personal check and reserves the right to withdraw that privilege at any time to anyone.

Returned checks, regardless of the reason, are subject to a $35.00 service charge. When a check is returned unpaid, a hold is immediately placed on HCC services. Holds prohibit registration and the issuing of transcripts and diplomas until the returned check and service charges are paid. Your bank may notify you too, that it has returned your check and may charge you bank penalties. Returned checks remaining uncollected after a reasonable period of time will be forwarded to the State of Maryland Central Collection Unit with the student bearing additional collection costs.

Stopped Payments

If you decide not to attend HCC do not stop payment on your check. Stopping payment guarantees that your check will be returned, and does not cancel your financial obligation to HCC. Stopped payments are treated as any other returned check, with identical consequences.

To cancel your obligation to pay tuition and fees at HCC you need to officially withdraw, by the deadline posted on the website, by notifying the Office of Admissions and Registration and filling out a Credit Schedule Form. Otherwise, you will be held responsible for the full amount of your fees. View the Registration Dates & Refund Deadlines page.

Credit Cards

The College accepts VISA, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express.

Money Order

  1. Make money orders payable to Hagerstown Community College.
  2. Put your student ID number on the money order.

Authorized Payment Plan/Fast Automatic Cash Transfer System (FACTS )

  1. This is an interest-free plan. The total of your tuition and fees will be divided into payments (based on the FACTS application date) which will be automatically deducted monthly from a checking, savings or VISA/MasterCard or Discover account. Students must register for FACTS on the HCC website at Questions should be directed to the Finance Office.
  2. The processing fee for this plan is $25 per semester and will be deducted by FACTS from your bank account upon receipt of your application.
  3. For complete details, please refer to the FACTS brochure, available in the Finance Office.
  4. FACTS plans do not rollover from semester to semester. You must re-enroll each semester.
  5. The College reserves the right to disallow the use of FACTS by students with past payment issues. The use of FACTS is a privilege, not a right.

Rate Agreements

Out-of-state and out-of-county students who work in Maryland may be eligible for in/out-of-county rates if the employer has a signed tuition rate agreement with HCC. Students are advised to check with their human resources director.

If the employer has a rate agreement with HCC, students are required to provide proof of employment at the time of registration, or, no later than the day before classes begin, to the Office of Admissions and Registration. The proof of employment must be on company letterhead and dated no more than one week from the time it is provided to the College. The student must provide proof of employment each semester to retain in-county rates.

Employer-Paid Tuition

  1. It is your responsibility to present the purchase order, tuition assistance voucher, or letter of intent at the time you register for classes.
  2. In the event the employer or tuition assistance agency refuses to pay after receipt of the bill, the student becomes responsible for all charges on his or her account.

Collection Policy

Students with an outstanding balance at the end of the term will have their transcripts withheld. They will not be permitted to reregister until payment is made in full.

The College’s policies regarding payments and collections apply to payments made directly to the College, as well as payments at the College bookstore and other auxiliary services.

Delinquent accounts will be assigned to the State of Maryland Central Collection Unit for collection with a 17 percent service fee added to the amount owed. The State of Maryland Central Collection Unit has the authority to intercept Maryland Income Tax Refunds or to take legal action through the State’s Attorney General’s Office.

Refunds and Withdrawals**

The effective date for calculation of all refunds shall be the date of official withdrawal or change in schedule as recorded in the Admissions Office. Failure to attend classes does not constitute an official withdrawal.

Upon withdrawal prior to the first day of scheduled classes, the College will retain the registration fee and refund any remainder.

For 15-week classes, the College will retain the registration fee and refund 100 percent of the balance until the end of the first week of classes, if a student completes the official procedure to withdraw. There will be no refunds after the first week of classes. Refund deadlines for classes with a duration of less than 15 weeks are printed in the class schedule.

Note: Students receiving Federal Financial Aid, Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant, Federal Work Study, Federal Family Education Loan Programs, and/or Maryland Education Assistance Grant Programs, please see the refund policy here. 

During the period allowed for schedule changes, a student’s account will be adjusted for any change in course load.

If a student’s course schedule is reduced by action of the College, the tuition and fees for that course will be adjusted.

Fees and tuition are not refunded if a student is dismissed from the College. Any student who drops a course or withdraws from the College unofficially will not be eligible for a refund and any unpaid balance will be due immediately.

The College reserves the right to cancel a class or change meeting times of classes without prior notice. Any fees directly applicable to a cancelled class will be refunded.

Students may receive refunds after the deadline if they have serious reasons for not being able to continue in the classes. For example, illness, injury, bereavement, military duty, or a personal tragedy may be acceptable bases for appeal, with supporting documentation. However, ignorance of the deadline is not a valid argument to support an appeal.

Refund appeal forms are available in the Office of Admissions and Registration and online at Forms should be returned to the director of admissions, records and registration. No appeals will be accepted if the student’s tuition balance has been sent to the State of Maryland Central Collection Unit (CCCU).

Note: Eligibility for a refund is determined by the date the signed notification (by the student) of the intent to withdraw is received in the Office of Admissions and Registration. The number of times a course has met is not used in determining eligibility for a refund. Questions regarding refunds should be directed to the Finance Office, 240-500-2220, or emailed to

** Refund policy is subject to change.

Residency Policy and Tuition Requirements

The following residency policy is for the students who are United States citizens or have permanent residency in the U.S.

  1. Students at Hagerstown Community College pay tuition according to their permanent residence (identified by the address on the admissions application) and are classified as one of the following:
    1. Washington County residents
    2. Maryland residents outside of Washington County
    3. Out-of-state residents
  2. A student 18 years of age or older and financially independent is considered a resident of Washington County and the state if a legal domicile has been established.
  3. Students shall be considered residents of a county or state if they maintain their legal domicile there and have done so for a period of not less than three months before the date of their enrollment at the community college. Legal domicile shall be defined as a person’s permanent place of abode, where physical presence and possession are maintained and where he/she intends to remain indefinitely.
    The permanent place of abode of any person or persons contributing more than one-half of the student’s financial support during the most recent completed year (COMAR: Title 13B.07.01.02 9 (a) (b)).
  4. At the time of admission to HCC, students sign a statement declaring their residency. At each subsequent enrollment students must indicate if their residence is the same as or different from that declared at admission. Students may need to provide proof of residency.

Procedures for Reclassification of Residency

  1. Students may request a change in residency classification by completing a “Change in Residency” form available in the Office of Admissions and Registration.
  2. Determination of student residency must be made before the first day of classes of any given semester. Students who change their residency after the semester begins will not have their tuition adjusted. Students may be entitled to an adjustment the following semester.
  3. Documentation must show the permanent address (no post office box) with effective date three months prior to the first day of the semester. Two documentations of residency and the “Change in Residency” form must be presented. Documentation includes the following:
    1. Deed, settlement papers, or a one-year lease agreement
    2. Maryland driver’s license
    3. Maryland motor vehicle registration
    4. Federal or Maryland tax returns
    5. Maryland voter registration card
    6. Utility bills
    7. Military orders with an assignment to a base in Maryland and presentation of military ID.
  4. Students have the right to appeal a residency decision by putting their request in writing to the dean of student affairs.

Maryland DREAM Act

As an open-admission institution, Hagerstown Community College grants admission to all students regardless of citizenship.  Maryland Senate Bill 167 enacted in the 2011 Session of the Maryland General Assembly, also known as the Maryland Dream Act, allows some non-U.S. citizens to be exempt from paying the out-of-state tuition rate.

In order for a student to qualify for an exemption from paying out-of-state tuition, the student must have:

  1. Attended a public or nonpublic high school in Maryland for at least 3 academic years not earlier than the 2005-2006 school year;
  2. Graduated from a public or nonpublic high school in Maryland or received the equivalent of a high school diploma from the State not earlier than the 2007-2008 school year;
  3. Registered within four years after graduating from a public or nonpublic secondary school in the State or received the equivalent of a high school diploma in the State;
  4. Provided documentation that the student, or the student’s parent or legal guardian has filed a Maryland income tax return:
        a. annually for the 3 years that coincide with the individual’s attendance at a public or nonpublic secondary school in the State (home-schooled students are subject to this requirement in the same manner);
        b. annually each year between secondary school attendance and enrolling at the college, and
        c. annually while attending a community college;
  5. Provides an affidavit stating that the individual will file an application to become a permanent resident within 30 days after the individual becomes eligible to do so;
  6. Provides proof that the individual has registered with the Selective Service System. (This currently applies to all males 18–25. Proof of Selective Service registration can be obtained by filing with the Post Office and returning a receipt to the college that shows proof of registration or by providing a Selective Service card.).

    Each community college will verify statutory compliance for each eligible student.  Students seeking this exemption must be prepared to provide copies of Maryland Tax Returns and other documents. A student who meets the requirements described above may be eligible to pay the in-county tuition rate at the community college that serves the high school from which he/she graduated or most recently attended (if he/she received a GED). 

    Applying for the exemption does not alter your responsibility to pay by the college deadline any nonresident tuition and associated fees that may be due before your eligibility is determined. For institution-specific instructions regarding documentation and deadline dates, contact the Office of Admissions and Registration at 240-500-2572.

    *The completed paperwork (form and all supporting documentation) is due before the semester begins. If you complete the paperwork after the semester has begun, the exemption will be considered for the following semester. 

    Learn more at

Tuition Requirements

  1. Out-of-state students pay tuition in accordance with Education Article, &16-310(a), Annotated Code of Maryland.
  2. Out-of-county or out-of-state students pay tuition in accordance with Education Article, &16-310(b), Annotated Code of Maryland.
  3. Students who may be eligible for in-county or out-of-county tuition rates or considered as Maryland residents are listed below.
    1. Maryland residents enrolled in a program designated as a Health Manpower Shortage, statewide or regional by the Maryland Higher Education Commission may be considered as in-county residents for tuition purposes. The Health Manpower Shortage programs at HCC are nursing (LPN and RN), radiography and paramedic. The statewide designated programs include industrial technology (A.A.S. and Certificate) and facilities maintenance technology (Certificate).
      The statewide designated programs include industrial technology (A.A.S. and certificate), facilities maintenance technology (certificate), and alternative energy technology (A.A.S. and certificate). Students must demonstrate eligibility each semester. Sixty-six percent of the registered courses must be a part of the program of study.
    2. Military personnel and their dependents who have a legal domicile in Maryland at the time of entrance into the armed forces and who are stationed outside the State are considered Maryland residents.
    3. Military personnel stationed in Maryland on active duty and did not have a legal domicile in Maryland at the time of entrance into the armed forces and their dependents are considered Maryland residents.
    4. Students from outside the state who enroll as part of a reciprocity agreement negotiated between Maryland and another state.
  4. Nursing students who reside outside of Maryland may be considered a Maryland resident if the following conditions are met. Contact the Financial Aid Office for more information.
    1. Formally admitted and enrolled in an education program leading to licensure in nursing.
    2. Furnishes a surety bond or guaranteed promissory note to the Maryland Higher Education Commission through the college, with security satisfactory to MHEC, that upon completion of the nursing education program the student will work full-time in Maryland for at least two years in a hospital or related institution.
    3. Provides the surety bond or promissory note at the time of registration.

Student Financial Aid

The Student Financial Aid Office provides resources to students seeking financial aid. Aid is available through grants, scholarships, loans and student employment. ALL STUDENTS MUST APPLY EACH YEAR FOR FINANCIAL AID.

Financial aid information may also be obtained at Get video answers to your financial aid questions using Financial Aid TV. Inquiries may be addressed to

Student Responsibilities

  • All written communications from the Student Financial Aid Office will be by email. It is the student’s responsibility to inform the office of email address changes and to check their e-mail frequently.
  • To maintain eligibility for financial aid, students must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress. Students should refer to the section: Academic Progress of Students Receiving Student Financial Aid.
  • Priority consideration for certain federal programs is given to students who meet the deadlines of March 15 for the fall semester and November 15 for the spring semester.
  • Maryland students applying for Maryland scholarships and grants must complete the FAFSA before March 1 for the following academic year.
  • Deadline dates for the Federal Pell Grant are less restrictive.
  • Once students are enrolled for classes and have been awarded financial aid, their financial aid will be credited to their accounts, paying tuition, fees, and other college expenses first.
  • Students are responsible for payment of tuition and fees if aid has not been awarded. To determine if student financial aid can be applied to the semester charges: tuition, fees, and books, review the Financial Aid Status by Term information available on WebAdvisor.
  • Students must officially withdraw from classes at the Admissions and Registration Office if they are no longer planning to attend. The Student Financial Aid Office will administratively withdraw or deregister a student for non-payment. Failure to comply could result in all tuition and fee charges being billed to the student.
  • Students receiving financial aid are expected to attend and complete their classes. Students who receive aid for classes which they never attend will have the aid revoked. Students who withdraw, or stop attending all classes, may owe a refund for aid received to the U.S. Department of Education.

Financial Aid Program Requirements

To be eligible for aid from Federal Financial aid programs, you must:

  • have a high school diploma or  a General Education Development (GED) certificate
  • be working toward a degree or certificate in an eligible program
  • be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
  • have a valid Social Security Number
  • register with the Selective Service if required (male over 18 years old)
  • maintain satisfactory academic progress once in school
  • certify that you will use federal student aid only for educational purpose
  • not have a federal student loan in default or owe money on a federal student grant

Students who have been convicted for possessing or selling illegal drugs may not be eligible for Title IV aid. Students who have questions regarding their eligibility should call 1-800-4FEDAID.

For further details, view and view the Funding Your Education guide.

Applying for Federal and Maryland State Financial Aid

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid or FAFSA is the financial aid application you will need to complete in order to apply for federal and state student grants, work-study, and loans. There is no charge for completing or submitting the FAFSA. Apply online at

You must reapply for financial aid every year. You should reapply for financial aid starting in January, for the following academic year.

Students should complete the FAFSA before March 1, to be considered for Maryland State financial aid from the Maryland Higher Education Commission, Office of Student Financial Assistance.

You should complete the federal income tax return before completing the FAFSA. The IRS Data Retrieval Tool allows students and parents to access the IRS tax return information needed to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students and parents may transfer the data directly into their FAFSA.

You do not have to file your income tax return with the IRS before you fill out the FAFSA. You will need the following documentation readily available when completing the FAFSA:

  • Your (and your parents’ if applicable) Social Security Card
  • Your driver’s license or state ID card
  • Your (and your spouse’s or parents’ if applicable) federal income tax return and W-2 earnings statement
  • Your (and your spouse’s or parents’ if applicable) current bank statement and records of stocks, bonds and other investments
  • Your (and spouse’s or your parents’ if applicable) records of other untaxed income
  • Your alien registration card if not a U.S. citizen.

Once you have completed the FAFSA, you will receive your Student Aid Report (SAR). The SAR contains the information you reported on your FAFSA and your personal Expected Family Contribution (EFC). The EFC is your federal aid eligibility index. The U.S. Department of Education uses a federally mandated formula or Federal Methodology to calculate your family’s EFC. The EFC determines eligibility for federal financial aid. Your SAR must be complete and correct before you can receive federal student aid.

If you do not use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to provide tax information when completing the FAFSA, you may be required to obtain and submit a copy of your official tax transcript for the IRS, and your parents may be required to obtain and submit a copy of their official tax transcript for the IRS.

The Student Financial Aid Office at HCC will electronically receive your SAR and send an e-mail requesting additional information, if needed. Students must promptly provide all documentation, such asofficial income tax transcripts if requested. The WebAdvisor Student Menu has a link to My Financial Aid Documents listing the items needed to complete the financial aid file.

The Student Financial Aid Office will send the student an award notification e-mail once all supporting documentation has been received and the financial aid has been processed. Students can view their financial aid award on WebAdvisor.

To apply for Federal Work Study (FWS) a student should (1) complete the FAFSA, (2) review the student jobs listed on the human resources page of the college’s website and (3) apply for and accept an on-campus student worker position. 

To receive student loan funds, you must:

  • Complete the FAFSA at
  • Complete the entrance counseling and the Master Promissory Note at (Note: you will need your FAFSA Pin Number to complete this step).
  • Sign the HCC Award Notification, printed from WebAdvisor, and return it to the Student Financial Aid Office. The award notification will be available on WebAdvisor once your loan has been processed.

How HCC Awards Federal and MD State Financial Aid

Student applications are reviewed for completeness and accuracy. The student is notified by email and WebAdvisor if documentation is missing or if there are discrepancies in the information. It is the student’s responsibility to submit copies of the documentation needed to complete their file. Students, whom the Department of Education selects for verification, must complete the verification process within three weeks of notification from HCC. Once the file is complete and correct, the aid is awarded. Federal financial aid awards are based on financial need.

The selection of students for federal grants and Federal Work Study is based on the criteria established by the program and the funds available to award. Financial need is determined by the cost of education in relation to the amount reasonably expected to be contributed by parents, spouse and/or the student. This contribution is determined by an analysis of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Estimated cost of education budget information is available on the Paying for College portion of the HCC Web site.

Student awards may be viewed over a secure website at

Federal Financial Aid Programs (Title IV)

Federal Pell Grant, unlike a loan, does not have to be repaid. Pell Grants are awarded only to undergraduate students who have financial need. For many students, Pell Grants provide a foundation of financial aid to which other aid is added. The amount of the grant depends on the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) and the number of credits for which the student enrolls.

All students may receive Pell Grants for up to 12 semesters, measured by percentage of scheduled award(s) disbursed (“lifetime eligibility used,” or “LEU” field in COD up to 6000%).

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) is for undergraduates with exceptional financial need, who receive Federal Pell Grant Funds and are enrolled in six (6) credits or more. FSEOG does not have to be paid back. There is no guarantee that every eligible student will be able to receive FSEOG; awards are based on the availability of funds. Students wanting to receive FSEOG need to have a complete file with the Student Financial Aid Office as early in the year as possible.

Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant is for students who are not eligible for a Pell Grant but whose parents was members of the U.S. Armed Forces and died as a result of service performed in Iraq or Afghanistan after September 11, 2001.

Additional Student Eligibility Requirements:

  • Be under 24 years old
  • Enrolled in college at least part-time at the time of the parent’s or guardian’s death.

The grant award is equal to the amount of a maximum Pell Grant for the award year – not to exceed the cost of attendance for that award year.

Federal Work-Study Program (FWS) program provides part time jobs for students who have financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay for educational expenses. Students must be enrolled in a minimum of six (6) credits in order to receive a FWS award. Students may work during the semester as an FWS employee in various departments and divisions of the college. The number of hours a student can work is based on the degree of financial need.

Federal Direct Loans are student loans for eligible students to help cover the cost of higher education. Eligible students borrow directly from the U.S. Department of Education.

There are two types of Federal Direct Stafford Loans:

  • Subsidized – based on financial need and federal government pays interest during the student’s enrollment in school
  • Unsubsidized – not based on financial need and borrower is responsible for interest payments

Unsubsidized Stafford Loans require that you, the student, pay the interest that accrues while you are attending school. If you choose to defer the interest until after graduation, the interest will be capitalized, resulting in a larger principal balance and more interest paid.

Students may qualify for either of the above types of Stafford Loans or a combination of the two.

In addition to filing the FAFSA, the student must complete the entrance counseling and MPN: Master Promissory Note at the Direct Lending Web site, Students may complete the entrance counseling and the MPN prior to receiving a loan award.

If you have a complete financial aid file, your student loan and any other aid you are eligible for will be awarded.

  • Freshmen students will be awarded $5,500 (depending on need, $ 2,000 or more will be unsubsidized).
  • Sophomore students, who have completed at least 30 credit hours, will be awarded $6,500 ($2,000 or more will be unsubsidized).

Prior to receiving loan funds, the student must go to WebAdvisor to print the award notification. Students must sign the award notification and return it to the Student Financial Aid Office to receive loan funds. Students must be enrolled in six (6) or more credits per semester in order to be eligible for loan funds.

An independent student or a dependent student whose parent has been denied a parent loan and requires additional UNSUBSIDIZED LOAN FUNDS to pay for college expenses can request an additional $4,000 unsubsidized loan using the additional unsubsidized Loan Request form, which can be found online at

The maximum loan amounts that may be borrowed by independent students or a dependent student whose parent has been denied a parent loan are:

  • Freshman students will be awarded $9,500 (depending on need, $6,000 or more will be unsubsidized loans).
  • Sophomore students, who have completed at least 30 credit hours, will be awarded $10,500 (depending on need, $6,000 or more will be unsubsidized loans).

All loans are processed for the fall semester and spring semester, unless you are graduating from HCC in December.

Student loans have two (2) disbursements each semester. The first disbursement will be at the beginning of the semester (at the same time the Pell Grant is dispursed) and the second will be after the mid-term date.

Students should carefully consider how much they will need to borrow. They should consider the burden repaying loans will impose on them and their families after leaving school.

Aggregate Loan Limits: Maximum limit while working on all undergraduate degrees:

  • Dependent students are limited to $31,000 (no more than $23,000 of which can be subsidized)
  • Independent students are limited to $57,500 (no more than $23,000 can be subsidized)

Parent Loans for Undergraduate Dependent Students (PLUS) are for parents who want to borrow to help pay for their dependent children’s educational expenses. Parent borrowers generally must begin repaying principal and interest within 60 days after the loan is completely disbursed. They may apply for deferment of payment with their lenders.

Students and parents wishing to apply for education loans must meet all requirements for Federal Financial Aid, complete the FAFSA, and complete a PLUS Borrower Information sheet, available online at

Maryland Grants and Scholarships Programs

The Office of Student Financial Assistance (OSFA), a division of the Maryland Higher Education Commission, awards Maryland financial aid funds. To be eligible for this assistance, you and your parents (if a dependent student) must reside in Maryland for twelve months or more. Maryland residents should complete the FAFSA before March 1, to be considered for Maryland Grants and Scholarships. Additional application information is available at

Maryland Legislative Programs

Senatorial Scholarship: Maryland Senators award these funds. Contact the senator for further application instructions. If you do not know how to contact your state senator, please contact the Board of Supervisors of Elections for your county. (Washington County: 240-313-2050 or

Delegate Scholarships: Maryland Delegates award these funds. Contact the Delegate for further application instructions. If you do not know how to contact your state delegates, please contact the Board of Supervisors of Elections for your county. (Washington County: 240-313-2050 or

Maryland Need-based Aid Programs

Howard P. Rawlings Guaranteed Access Grant: Current high school seniors who will complete a college preparatory program or students who graduated prior to the current academic year who provide written documentation explaining why they were unable to attend college within one year of graduating from high school may apply for this grant. Applicants must complete the FAFSA by March 1 of each year and the Howard P. Rawlings Guaranteed Access Grant application. Eligible applicants must be fulltime, degree-seeking students.

Howard P. Rawlings Educational Assistance Grant: Students attending community colleges will be awarded an Educational Assistance Grant equal to 60% of OSFA adjusted need. Funds may not be available to award all eligible students. Eligible applicants must be full-time, degree-seeking students. To renew an award, students must maintain satisfactory academic progress and submit the FAFSA no later than March 1 each year.

Part-Time Grant: Eligibility for this grant is based on financial need as determined by the FAFSA and availability for funds provided by OSFA. It is suggested that the FAFSA be completed as soon as possible after January 1 each year. Recipients are selected by HCC. To be eligible the student must be attending part-time and be enrolled in a degree-seeking program of study.

Maryland Merit-based Programs

Distinguished Scholars Awards: Current high school juniors may apply or may be nominated by their high school guidance counselor. Finalists in the National Merit Scholarship and National Achievement Scholarship programs will automatically receive the award if they attend HCC or another Maryland institution. Achievement applications may be obtained from high school guidance offices.

Distinguished Scholars Community College Transfer program: Maryland residents who have completed 60 credit hours at a Maryland community college and are transferring to a Maryland four-year institution of higher education may apply for this scholarship. Applicants must complete the Distinguished Scholar Community College Transfer application and submit an official college transcript(s).

Maryland Workforce Shortage Assistance Grant: Workforce Shortage Assistance Grant was established based on critical shortages in the workforce in Maryland. Eligible majors and employment fields are determined bi-annually. Both merit and need-based criteria are used when selecting recipients.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy

It is the student’s responsibility to maintain satisfactory academic progress.

U.S. Department of Education Regulations requires Hagerstown Community College establish satisfactory academic progress (SAP) standards for all financial aid recipients. All Federal Financial Aid recipients must be enrolled in an eligible degree or certificate program. Students must be making measurable academic progress toward completion of the degree or certificate program in order to be eligible to receive financial assistance from any of the following programs: Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant, Federal Work-Study, Federal Stafford Loan, Federal Plus Loan, and the State Student Grant.

SAP standards measure a student’s performance in three areas:

  1. GPA (Qualitative) Standards
  2. Completion Rate (Pace Standards)
  3. Maximum Time Frame

If a financial aid recipient fails to meet the policy standards, he or she will lose eligibility for student financial aid. Students’ SAP will be calculated each semester once grades are made. All of the above named programs of financial aid will be removed from students’ accounts if it is determined the student is not maintaining SAP.

GPA (Qualitative Standards):
Students must maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.00 on the 4.00 scale. Only College Level Course grades are included in the cumulative GPA calculation. Developmental course grades are not factored into the GPA for Financial Aid.

Completion Rate (Pace):

The completion rate is calculated by dividing the number of credits completed by the number of credits attempted. All students must maintain a completion rate of 70% of courses attempted. The entire history for a student must be calculated for SAP for Financial Aid (including developmental courses and courses under academic amnesty).

The following grades have a “Quality-Point Value” of zero (0) and will be counted as courses attempted, but not completed. Example: A student, who enrolls in two three credit hour classes for the fall semester and receives an “F” in one class and a “B” in the other, would have a completion rate of 50%.

  • F Failure
  • U Unsatisfactory
  • MP Making progress
  • W Withdraw
  • AU Audit
  • R Repeated course
  • I Incomplete course (It is the student’s responsibility to request re-evaluation of SAP status upon course completion.)

It is the student’s responsibility to know and adhere to the Add/Drop dates published each semester in the Credit Class Schedules.

Courses that have been removed for Academic Amnesty will still count in the calculation for SAP requirements as mandated by federal law.

In addition to any credits attempted at HCC, all credits transferred into HCC will be evaluated for SAP. New students transferring into HCC could potentially be considered Maximum Time Frame and will need to complete an appeal and Academic Plan.

Maximum Time Frame:

Students will lose eligibility for financial aid if they have not completed their educational programs within the time frame of 150% of the published length of the program.

Students who are evaluated as Maximum Time Frame are eligible to appeal the removal of their financial aid. Filing an appeal will not hold a student in classes. Appeals for Maximum Time Frame must include completion of an educational planning session which can be completed with the student’s advisor. Students should confirm they are registered for the correct program of study with HCC. An appeal cannot be granted if the student is not a degree-seeking student at HCC. If payment is due for the upcoming semester the student will need to make arrangements for payments with the Finance Office or the student will be administratively withdrawn for non-payment.

Students who are double-majoring will need to explain in their appeal how the two majors come together to help them achieve their overall career goals.

Financial Aid Warning Status:

  • Status assigned to a student who fails to meet the SAP policy requirements after SAP is calculated each semester.
  • Students assigned to this status will continue to receive aid for one semester for a chance to improve their pace and/or GPA.  
  • No appeal is necessary.
  • Students who do not meet the SAP Requirements (2.0 GPA and 70% pace) after the warning semester will have their aid removed for the next semester, but are eligible to appeal this decision if extenuating circumstances warrant an appeal.

Appeal Process:

  • This is the process by which a student who is not meeting the SAP Policy Requirements petitions HCC’s SAP Appeal Committee for reconsideration of the student’s eligibility for Financial Aid.
  • It is the student’s responsibility to submit the typed appeal statement, the completed appeal form, and all documentation supporting the student’s claim.
  • Extenuating circumstances affecting the student’s ability to complete past coursework must be documented. (Example: death of an immediate family member, health reasons, undue hardship)
  • Failure to submit written appeal to the Financial Aid Office, within the specified time results in forfeiture of the right to appeal. The appeal will not be reviewed until the committee meets for the next semester.
  • Students must explain why they have not successfully completed courses in the past and document what has changed making them more likely to academically succeed in the future.
  • Students whose appeal passes the first step (they have a valid appeal with appropriate documentation) must submit an Academic Plan, completed with their Academic Advisor; unless it is determined they can meet the SAP requirements in the next semester for which they are registered (see Financial Aid Probation Status below).
  • Submission of an appeal will not hold a student in classes. Students should sign up for the FACTS payment plan if they plan on registering for courses for the next semester. Students will be notified in writing after the committee has met.
  • Submission of an appeal does not guarantee that the appeal will be granted.
  • Unless eligibility is reinstated through appeal, students will remain ineligible until that time when they are again in compliance with the standards set forth.

Financial Aid Probation Status:

  • This is the status assigned to a student who fails to make SAP and who has appealed and has had eligibility for Financial Aid reinstated.
  • Before aid will be awarded students are required to sign a Financial Aid Probation Contract.
  • Students on a Financial Aid Probation Contract must meet the SAP Policy requirements by the end of their Probation Semester. This status is only given to students who will be able to meet the SAP requirements after one semester.
  • There is no appeal process for students who do not meet the stipulations of the Probation Contract.
  • A student whose first appeal was granted and were placed on financial aid probation but subsequently did not honor their Financial Aid Probation Contract are NOT ELIGIBLE to file a second appeal and are NOT ELIGIBLE for financial aid until they meet the SAP Policy Requirements.

Financial Aid Academic Plan Probation Status:

  • Status assigned to a student who fails to make SAP and who has appealed and has had eligibility for Financial Aid reinstated after completing an Academic Plan with an advisor.
  • Students must successfully complete all courses on the Academic Plan to remain eligible for federal and state Financial Aid. (Withdrawing from or failing a class on the plan do not count as successfully following the plan).
  • Students who decide not to attend during a semester due to an extenuating circumstance will receive another chance to appeal. The appeal must include documentation and will only be acceptable for personal illness or injury, death of an immediate family member, and/or other extenuating circumstance. It is the student’s responsibility to notify the SFAO before the semester begins. 

Financial Aid Denial Status:

  • Status assigned to a student who has lost eligibility for Federal Financial Aid.
  • Students with this status are responsible for paying all tuition and fees until they meet the SAP Policy Requirements: pace (70% completion rate) and 2.0 GPA.
  • Students who have submitted an appeal, which was subsequently denied, are not eligible for federal financial aid until they meet the SAP Policy Requirements. Their financial aid eligibility will not be reinstated at HCC unless the student meets the academic standards.
  • If the student plans on attending upcoming semesters, he or she will need to make arrangements for payments with the Finance Office or he or she may be administratively withdrawn for non-payment.

Refund and Return of Title IV Aid

When you withdraw during the semester, the amount of federal student aid that you have earned up to that point is determined by a specific formula. If you received (or HCC or parent received on your behalf) more assistance than was earned, the excess funds must be returned by the school and/or the student. If you received less assistance than the amount that you earned, you may be eligible to receive those additional funds.

The amount of assistance that you have earned is determined on a prorated basis. For example: if you completed 30% of the semester, you earn 30% of the assistance you were originally scheduled to receive. Once you have completed more than 60% of the semester, you earn all the assistance that you were scheduled to receive.

If you received (or your parents received funds or funds that were paid on your behalf for tuition and fees or you purchased books at the HCC bookstore), less assistance than the amount that you earned, you may be able to receive those additional funds. If you received more assistance than you earned, the excess funds must be returned by the school and/or you.

There are some federal student aid funds that you cannot earn once you withdraw because of other eligibility requirements. For example, if you withdraw from classes before the day your loan is scheduled to disburse, you will not earn any direct student loan funds that you would have received if you had remained enrolled.

If you received (or your parents received funds or funds that were paid on your behalf for tuition and fees or purchase books at the HCC bookstore) excess federal student aid funds that must be returned, HCC must return a portion of the excess equal to the lesser of:

  1. your institutional charges multiplied by the unearned percentage of your funds, or
  2. the entire amount of excess funds

The school must return this amount even if it did not keep this amount of your federal student aid funds. If HCC is not required to return all of the excess funds, you must return the remaining amount.

Any loan funds that you must return, you (or your parent for a PLUS loan) repay in accordance with the terms of the promissory note. That is, you make scheduled payments to the holder of the loan over a period of time.

Any amount of unearned grant funds that you must return is called an overpayment. The maximum amount of a grant overpayment that you must repay is half of the grant funds you receive. You must arrange with HCC to return the unearned grant funds.

If you did not receive all of the funds that you earned, you may be due a post-withdrawal disbursement. If the post-withdrawal disbursement includes loan funds, you may choose to decline the loan funds so that you do not incur additional debt. HCC may automatically use all or a portion of your post-withdrawal disbursement (including loan funds, if you accept them) for tuition and fees.

For all other school charges, the school needs your permission to use the post-withdrawal disbursement. If you do not give your permission, you will be offered the funds; however, it may be in your best interest to allow the school to keep the funds to reduce your debt at the school.

The requirements for federal student aid funds when you withdraw are separate from any refund policy that HCC may have. Therefore, you may still owe funds to the school to cover unpaid institutional charges. HCC may also charge you for any federal student aid funds that the school was required to return.

If you have questions about your FSA program funds, please inquire at HCC’s Student Financial Aid Office. Information is also available on the U.S. Department of Education’s Financial Aid for Students at

Student Financial Aid Office Statement of Conduct

HCC’s Student Financial Aid Statement of Conduct is adopted from the National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrator’s Statement of Ethical Principles and Code of Conduct for Institutional Financial Aid Professionals.

Students and parents of students attending HCC should have the utmost confidence in the ethics of the College and their student lending practices. HCC’s Student Financial Aid Office employees are expected to always maintain exemplary standards of professional conduct in all aspects of carrying out their responsibilities, specifically including dealing with any entities involved in any manner of Student Financial Aid.

The entire Statement of Conduct and additional consumer information are available online at


A number of scholarships are available to students who show scholastic promise and financial need. The funds for these scholarships are provided by civic-minded persons and organizations as a means of extending the opportunity for a college education. Most scholarships are awarded for a one-year period.

Community Scholarships

Students applying for scholarships must complete a separate scholarship application. Scholarship information is available online at This scholarship page contains a list of scholarships made available through local community organizations.

Student’s receiving scholarship money from outside organizations must notify the Financial Aid Office. Make sure the student’s name and HCC Student ID number are recorded either on the check or scholarship award notification letter.

HCC works with many local and national organizations to award student scholarships. Any scholarship checks students receive should be sent to or brought in to the Finance Office at HCC to be applied to the student’s account. This helps the Student Financial Aid Office calculate a student’s total award package. Many organizations base scholarship awards on things like enrollment status, program of study, GPA, and which high school a student attended. Feel free to contact the Student Financial Aid Office for information on community scholarships.

Hagerstown Community College Scholarships

HCC offers the following scholarships to HCC students:

  • Opportunity Fund Scholarship
  • Child Care Career and Professional Development Fund (CCCPDF)
  • Carolyn Hill Scholarship
  • HCC Foundation Scholarships
  • ESSENCE Scholarship (Foundation Scholarship available only to ESSENCE students)
  • HCC Faculty/Foundation Scholarship for Academic Excellence

Scholarships and grants funded by Hagerstown Community College Foundation, Inc. are to help HCC students attain their educational goals. Applications can be printed from the HCC website.

TRiO Scholarship: The TRiO Student Support Services program at HCC offers Grant aid each spring semester to a select group of program participants. TRiO SSS is a federally funded grant program designed to help students who are first generation, have a disability, or have a low income meet their academic, personal, and professional goals. Students must be accepted into the TRiO SSS program and be an active participant to be eligible for this grant. The selection process for the award is competitive. Applications are scored on various criteria including level of unmet financial need, essay, GPA, and participation as the most heavily weighted factor. Students may contact the TRiO: SSS office at 240-500-2659.  Applicants must:

  • Be attending classes at HCC during the awarding semester
  • Be current, active participants in the TRiO SSS program
  • Have received a PELL grant during the awarding semester
  • Be in their first two years of postsecondary education
  • Fill out an application and write an essay

Child Care Career and Professional Development Fund (CCCPDF): HCC and the Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE) are offering a unique funding opportunity for childcare providers to earn an associate’s degree (A.A.S. or A.A.T.) in early childhood. HCC is currently accepting approved applicants from the Childcare Career and Professional Development Fund, which offers scholarship opportunities for people working in childcare. Approved candidates must possess the motivation and skills that will assist them in successfully completing their degree while employed in childcare and who will continue to work in family or center-based early education programs upon completion of their degree. Candidates may enroll in one course a semester up to a full load of credit courses at no cost to the participant. Candidates must work at a licensed child care/preschool program in the state of Maryland. Several prerequisites include high school diploma, G.E.D., any prerequisite required by an individual community college for credit courses (e.g. English or reading), at least one year working in a licensed childcare center/family childcare program, and participation in the MSDE childcare credentialing program. Other prerequisites are listed on the MSDE website as well as the scholarship application and fact sheet and can be found at For information about the scholarship program at HCC contact Alison Hess, program manager, at 240-500-2604, or email

Carolyn Hill Scholarship is a special scholarship for senior citizens. The upward limit of the scholarship is $750 per year to cover the cost of credit course related fees, books, and materials (tuition is free based on our current policy of waiving tuition for local seniors). The distribution of these dollars is based on a $50 per credit basis with a maximum of 15 credits for $750. The recipient(s) of this scholarship will be identified by the HCC Opportunity Fund working group with concurrence from the President’s Office. Preference will be given to those who have financial need, but this determination is less rigorous than the College uses to award most government sponsored aid programs. In order to qualify for this scholarship, candidates must:

  • Reside in Washington County
  • Be 72 years of age or older
  • Pursue a first college degree, but may have already completed credits from prior College work
  • Prepare a written statement about their reasons for pursuing College courses, which will be shared with HCC Trustees and the local media

Hagerstown Community College Foundation Scholarships

A number of scholarships with varying criteria are available per semester and are made possible by contributions from individuals, businesses, corporations, HCC employees, groups, and other sources. They are perpetual since only the interest accrued is awarded. Unrestricted scholarships are need-based. They are awarded annually per semester to residents of the tri-state area, and require a 2.0 grade point average. Scholarships are administered through the Hagerstown Community College Foundation and recipients are selected by the Foundation Scholarship Committee. For a complete description of each of the following scholarships and their eligibility requirements, visit