Jun 02, 2020
Career Programs Building
Total Credit Hours: 29 credit hours
Purpose: The Electronic Health Records certificate will allow individuals to earn a short-term credential that has strong labor market value, which facilitates accelerated entrance into the job market, and provides opportunities for career advancement, as well as higher earning potential.
Curriculum: The curriculum is divided into several areas of study and consists of lecture and laboratory providing students with the knowledge and technical skills relating to electronic health records, the legal aspects of health records in an electronic environment and the software programs used for storage and retrieval of the electronic health records (EHR). This program will prepare students for entry-level employment.
Program Outcomes: Graduates of the Certificate Program in Electronic Health Records will be able to:
- Recall and apply appropriate medical terminology, abbreviations, acronyms, and symbols that are used in the healthcare industry as related to electronic health records.
- Provide patient centered care and information management within the legal, ethical, and regulatory framework of the electronic health records profession.
- Demonstrate competency in the use of standard medical office equipment including bar code and scanning devices.
- Use the common features and functions of specialized electronic health records applications.
- Apply quality improvement and utilization review principles to ensure the highest quality of information management according to professional standards.
- Apply knowledge of policies and regulations relating to the organization of health care delivery to ensure compliance and protect confidentiality and privacy of patient data.
- Use technology and information systems to meet health care organization needs.
Program Requirements: All Electronic Heath Records students must:
- Maintain a grade of “C” or better in all program courses.
- Meet program competency requirements.
Admission Requirements: Admission to HCC does not guarantee admission to the Electronic Health Records program. The requirements below must be completed and submitted to the Office of Admissions, Records, and Registration before the first day of class.
- Official Transcripts from all colleges attended.
- College placement tests in mathematics, English and reading.
- Completion of MAT 099 and ENG 100, or satisfactory results on placement tests.
- A minimum cumulative grade point average for all college coursework of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Foreign education students must have their college and high school transcripts evaluated by the World Education Services (WES).
Program Requirements (29 Credits)
Certificate Requirement (29 Credits)
Additional Program Requirements
There are technical standards and skill requirements which students are expected to possess and demonstrate in order to be successful in this program. More information these technical standards can be found on the Web page for this program.
*In order to sit for the National Healthcare Association (NHA) Certified Electronic Health Records Specialist (CEHRS) examination, graduates must have proof of a High School diploma or G.E.D.